Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Search Terms, Favorites, and Happy New Year!

This will probably be my last post for 2009, so I wanted to start off with some search terms:

queen isabella s what happened with piracy

She gave it up after deciding that the eyepatch was just too unbecoming, darling.

cases of siblings mistakenly marrying

Practice moderation on New Year's Eve, folks, or this could be you.

1885 will changed edward iv

And I thought I procrastinated.

is duchess richard the third male or female

Wasn't giving the man a hunchback bad enough?

what was elizabeth woodville like as a child


Quite cute. Now at last is the time to unveil a newly discovered portrait of her:



why did the blonde leave sanctuary

Normally, this blogger tries to stay well within the bounds of political correctness, but this clearly calls for a blonde joke, and your blogger is, after all, a lifelong brunette. So here goes:

Q: Why did the blonde leave sanctuary?

A: Because she finally realized it wasn't a health spa.

And, in the interest of not alienating blondes who read this blog:

Q: Why did the brunette leave sanctuary?

A: Even as the only woman in a place full of men, she still couldn't get any of them to look at her.

OK, moving on.

I didn't get much reading done in 2009, but I did have a few books I particularly enjoyed, including Henry and Clara by Thomas Mallon, The Taste of Sorrow by Jude Morgan, A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin, King's Fool by Margaret Campbell Barnes, Drood by Dan Simmons, and Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold. For nonfiction, I particularly enjoyed The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by Leandra de Lisle, which was a refreshing reminder that one can reevaluate historical figures without indulging in wild speculation, engaging in sloppy research, or smearing other historical figures' reputations. I also enjoyed very much Christopher Wilkins' The Last Knight Errant about Edward Woodville, a well written look at a neglected and often slandered historical figure.

For 2010 I'll be continuing to work on my novel about Margaret of Anjou, and I'm be looking forward to the appearance of The Stolen Crown on March 1! Once the holidays are past, we'll get back to more substantive blog posts, including posts about some of the men who fought and in many cases died for Margaret of Anjou. But don't worry, we'll continue to have fun here too!

Happy New Year to all of you!

4 comments:

Passages to the Past said...

Your search posts are just too funny!

I must get my hands on The Sisters who Would be Queen...that's the
2nd time I've seen it listed as a top read of the year.

Looking forward to your new novel - many cheers to your success!

Happy New Year to you too Susan!

Gabriele Campbell said...

Happy New Year to you.

That no man looks at the poor brunette is the Woodvilles' fault somehow, I'm sure. ;)

trish wilson said...

Hi Sue

Loved your gag about blondes in sanctuary.

As you probably know the Ricardians hold to it buckle and thong that Elizabeth Wydeville left sanctuary in perfect charity with R3

As always I’ve an alternative. Under the rules of sanctuary at the time there were two groups of people denied sanctuary traitors and heretics. Under canon law at the time witchcraft was regarded as a form of heresy.

Happy New Year

Carla said...

Happy New Year!